Friday, October 9, 2015

Amazing Turmeric

Many years ago when I was very young(18) I married and moved to Amarillo Texas. For a reason I can't remember, I went to a health food store there. I met a man who changed my life. During our visit, I found out he was an ex doctor who wanted to educate people about preventing illness rather than getting sick and having to take drugs. I told him I was concerned about inheriting my folks health problems, mom had osteo arthritis, dad had rheumatoid, and there was cancer and other stuff too. He introduced me to two herbs, that are now being studied more and more as wonder herbs. Turmeric and Ginger. I started taking a capsule of each a day and to date have had no achy joints or other major health problems. It's a cheap way to stay healthy, as they cost about $3.00 a month for both ginger and turmeric capsules. Much less than any medicines out there, and no side effects. Turmeric or Curcumin has been used for centuries in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. It has been proven to work as an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial , anti-diabetic, anti-cancer agent, and much more. It is what makes mustard yellow. Because it lowers bad cholesterol, it prevent blood clots . Taken before bypass surgery it can lower the risk of heart attacks after the surgery. I like to add the powdered herbs of both turmeric and ginger to soups, vegetables and anything else I can put them in, like the taste although that may be an acquired thing. Generally, the root of both herbs is dried, and ground into a powder to get what's needed. We had a beautiful fall week and the deck is now finished except for a few minor touch ups. I have some plants to repot and some things that need clipping, but the forecast this am said some more warm weather is due next week, yea. It's pumpkin and fall squash time, eat as much as you can, they are so good for you and tasty too. Just finished a batch of Pine Tree Salve, love the stuff, it helps both aches and itches. Takes a while, has been brewing on the cupboard for 6 weeks. I will get into more on Turmeric next time, there is so much to know, I wish young folk knew to start this early on and prevent so many aches and pains later. Have a great week, enjoy this lovely weather

No comments:

Post a Comment