Friday, August 15, 2014

Home made slime for your kids, peach jam, lip balm and chatter

For a long while now, my car has been sounding pretty bad. Squawking and squeaking as I drive, the dogs hear me coming from a long way off. Not sure what it might cost for repairs, I have put off getting it looked at. But it has been so bad lately, the thought of the exhaust system falling off became a bigger scare. So I took it to a welding shop this am, and was pleasantly surprised. Seems there was a heat shield of some sort that lost some screws and was sitting on the exhaust system, causing all the racket. A few minutes, a couple of screws and 10 bucks later I was on my way. Snuck into the driveway without a bark to be heard, funny, now it does not seem like my car it's so quiet, love that. Our peach tree yielded some gorgeous fruit this year, for the first time ever. I made several rounds of peach jam. It was so easy, 2 and a half pounds of peaches, peeled and pitted, a teaspoon of lemon juice over that, stir in 2 pounds of sugar. Bring to a boil, then turn heat way down, skim off foam and simmer to reduce by half. Put into hot sterilized jars, screw lids on tightly and turn upside down til cool. Came out to be very tasty, something to share with family for the holidays. Also tried a new lip balm this last week. I am allergic to coconut in any way, inside or out. So this was worth trying. In a glass measuring cup put 1/4 cup of grapeseed or apricot kernel oil and 1/4 cup of shea butter. Heat til quite warm, add enough beeswax( I use pellets) to make 3/4 of a cup, and heat in microwave til beeswax is melted. Stir well, add a few drops of peppermint oil and I added some beet root powder, hoping for pink. Using a funnel I poured it into lip balm tubes. It worked well but the beet root powder settled out and did not make the color I had hoped for, suggestions appreciated. You could also try cocoa and orange oil, or other combinations for flavor and color. Next time I will try the cocoa. Do your kids like play dough type of products? Here is a slime recipe they will love, and its safe, even if they should eat some of it. Maybe. The Elmer's glue is not recommended for eating. In a container, put 1 T Elmer's glue and 1 T water, mix. In another container put 2 T borax and 2 T water. Mix that well, then combine both containers, adding color if you wish. Would be nicer green, or red. On second thought, discourage eating. Did you know sugar is considered addictive? As much so as cocaine and every bit as deadly for your health. Try and back off the amount you use, go for plain iced tea and water to drink and eat less candy, cookies etc. It's hard as so many products are laced with sugar to get you hooked on them and you don't even realize the amount you are taking in. Another reason to stay away from processed foods. Not only are there GMO's in them but added sugar and salt that you may not find listed. My husband was diabetic and we were told he could not eat anything out of a can or box. Cooked beans from scratch and bought fresh foods and did quite well. And the bonus is you find out how much better real food tastes. Really spoils your craving for mac and cheese out of a box etc. And a last thought for the upcoming winter. To use for cough and sore throat. Most of us have a spice jar of thyme in the cupboard, I happen to grow my own but what you buy will work. Put a good amount, maybe 1/4 cup into a teacup, pour a cup of boiling water over it and add the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and 2 T honey. Steep , strain, and use every few hours. 2 teaspoons at a time. Funny, our ancestors knew and used herbal cures way back when and now we are finding a resurgence of use as the meds we are given prove to have so many side effects. I have been doing some online herbal classes the last few years, plus using the computer to pull up and read information on things I hear about. Not a big techie but sure find my computer can be a great learning tool. I would rather give up tv than my good old computer. Hope you are enjoying the end of the summer weather, it's been lovely here, upper 50's to around 60 at night and mid 80's during the day. Open windows, blankets at night and a fan for the daytime. Take care, stay well, never quit learning. Keeps your mind working and focused. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment