Friday, December 30, 2011

Home Made Laundry Soap, Happy New Year, Natural Living

 Happy New Year to all, can't believe the year has come and gone, seems like it passed very quickly, maybe just cause I am getting to be old as dirt.
  I am thinking today of a couple of my pet peeves, they don't make me too crazy but I do ponder them often. We live in a beautiful area, mountains, and the roads are twisty, and very scenic. Each turn brings a new vista. All along the way, the roads are littered with empty drink cups, food bags, pop cans and just plain trash. Come on, didn't your parents teach you to pick up after yourselves?  Seems such a crime to spoil the beauty with all the trash. How much trouble could it be to keep it in the car til you get home, then put it in a trash can? The other thing that makes me crazy, we have posted speed limits. I follow them, because there are crosses all along the roads where idiots have gotten in a hurry and missed a curve, hit a tree or post, and ended their lives just for being in a rush. I very much dislike having someone get on my tail and ride the bumper. Back off, give me breathing room, I would do that for you. And if you are in such a rush you can't enjoy the scenery, too bad. You may not reach your destination anyway. In a driving rainstorm coming down a mountain road a few years ago, some guy beeped and carried on behind me, it was very hard to see anyway and I didn't speed up, so he passed me and as he got in front of me, we went around a curve, bingo, he was over the edge and in a deep ravine.  I didn't stop. Others did, and we saw he was okay, but gee,  hurry up and hurt yourself.
  Remember when our grandmas used Fels Naptha Soap? Here are a couple of recipes to try.
   Powdered Laundry Soap
1 bar of Fels Naptha finely grated
1 and 1/2 cups of borax
2 and 1/2 cups of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
 Grate soap, then run through food processor til very small piece. Mix all together and store in tightly sealed continer. Use 2 tablespoons per load.

    Liquid Laundry Soap
1 bar Fels Naptha grated finely
1 cup Arm and Hammer  Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
  Boil 4 cups of water, add grated soap stirring til melted . Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with hot water. Add melted soap to bucket, and stir in the soda and borax. Fill bucket the rest of the way. Mix well, and store in empty  detergent bottles,clorox jugs etc. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry. This is going to last a long time.
  Wishing you and yours a Happy, Healthty, and prosperous New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment