Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Home made Goodies

  Can you believe, it's only three weeks til the Christmas Holidays are here, then quickly gone. I have the radio going with all the lovely music playing most of the time.  To me it's one of the best things about the season. I hope we are all taking time to think about the true meaning of this blessed event,and what it means to all of us.
  In case you are looking for a few last minute stocking stuffers, bath items are always favorites. There is nothing like sinking into  tub of hot water at the end of a long day and letting the cares of the day just melt away.
  Bath Salts are a  great relaxer and so easy. Save up empty containers during the year that you can decorate, and as one of my sons pointed out, hang a scoop on the container. For this recipe you will need:
  1 cup epsom salts
  1/4 cup baking soda
  20 drops of essential oil. I like lavender because it's so relaxing, but for a guy you might lke eucalyptus.  Rose is nice too, whatever you like. Just mix all together well, put in your container with a bow and a scoop.  A sugar scrub is  good for both men and ladies. For this I have found a coarse brown sugar in  plastic container that works well.
  1 cup of the coarse brown sugar
  1/2 cup of regular sugar
  1/2 cup of sunflower, or olive, or safflower oil
  1/2 teaspoon vanilla -the real stuff.
 Mix well, store in air tight jars. I bought some plastic freezer containers, figured I might drop a glass jar, which would not be wonderful so opted for something safe enough for klutzy me. Same thing here, decorate the container with pretty decals and bows.
  This year I found a new bath pleasure, a bomb. Don't be mislead, it won't blow up. The only thing I am struggling with is a mold. It suggests something round but I a using cupcake pans lined with foil. Try this:
  Epsom salts, water and essential oil are all you need. For each cup of salts, add enough water to make  a wet sand consistancy, mix in a few drops of oil, again I would go for the lavender, then pack into your molds and let harden for 3 days.  Wrap each ball in saran wrap and tie with a bow.
 One last thought, if you are having guests for the holiday, you may need to spruce up your carpets, so here is a quick, easy  carpet cleaner, I really like this one, the scent lingers for days:
 1/2 cup corn starch
 2 cups baking soda
 1 tablespoon ground cloves
 2 crushed bay leaves.
 Mix all together and put in a shaker can, sprinkle over rugs and let set 1 hour, then vacuum. A word to the wise, be sure your shaker can is secure, my lid fell off first thing and I had to clean up and start over.
 Happy Holidays, peace and love to all.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment