Friday, November 22, 2013

Being Thankful

  In a week, Thanksgiving Day will have passed, and most will be stuffed with turkey and the trimmings. How far away we are from the reason for the holiday. As we are with most holidays now.  We came here to find religious freedom and better tax programs. Do we have either? To some extent, but it does seem we are loosing sight of  our values.   I am thankful for so much,  my blessings never cease to amaze me, and I know where they came from. I have 4 wonderful children, and a little angel who is no longer with me, plus six wonderful grand kids and two great grand kids. Looking forward to seeing them all over the holidays, maybe not the one going to grad school in MD, but the rest I am hopeful. 
  As I have traveled the path of life, it has had rocky places, sad things, and happy days. The happy far outweigh the sad.  I was fortunate to start out life living with my folks and grandma and my aunt, uncle and cousin in my grandmas house.  Lots of people to read to me, teach me life lessons  and firm religious values.  I miss all those wonderful ancestors now, they have been gone a long time. Not in my memories, think of them every day in gratitude. I also have been able to travel a lot and see a good share of this country and parts of other countries.  That alone makes me glad that I am an American. Living abroad really gives one a sense of what we take for granted so often.  Sure, there is beauty where ever you are, but also you do get to see the "under" side of their lives, and you are so glad to be where you are.
  I am always watching as I drive to town, the mountains around me, ever changing, majestic, strong. They feel like the hymn, A mighty Fortress.  , rising up to stop the worst winds and weather from attacking our area.  W have spectacular sunsets, and sometimes sunrises, although the sun has to climb up behind Big Piney behind me before it peers over the top of the mountain. This is a beautiful area, but so are many other parts of our great land.  I am grateful for being able to see parts of so many states in my life. Some I liked, others not so much.
  One of my Sunday school class mates is in her final days of life, her family is facing a tough few days.  She has faced several health problems the last few years,  but loosing a loved one close to a holiday always seems worse, makes that day sad forever after. My thoughts are with her family at this time.
  Onward. Do you have a coffee press?  I do not but ran across an interesting way to make a healthier version of a latte.  Get a canning jar, put a strainer over the top. First put a teaspoon of honey in a cup then grind 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of coffee beans and put in the strainer. Heat 1/2 cup of water to boiling, let cool a bit so it's not boiling and then pour over the coffee beans.  Remove the strainer, add this to your cup with honey, and add 1 and 1/4 cups of heated milk, your choice, mine would be soy, rice or almond, and add this to your cup. Last, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon powder over the top. Sounds great to me. Of course if you have  a coffee press, you can use that.
  Is your medicine chest ready for winter? Not the standard drugs, but herbs and healthy alternatives. Be sure your kitchen is stoc ked with fresh onions and garlic, cook them into everything you can,  they are great for maintaining good health.  If you or a friend have MRSA,  Artemisia flowers can be used to boot that, brew into a tea. and drink.  Juniper berries are great for external  infections, I make a salve with pine needles, juniper berries and orange peel. My sis has been using it on a case of the shingles. Ginger of course is a wonder, synergistic, make tea from a bit of the root, and add a little honey to soothe colds and flu.
  I hope you are looking forward to Thanksgiving with family and friends, have a blessed holiday and take time to give thanks for the blessings your life has. There are days those blessings are hard to see, but they are there. Take care, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment