Saturday, November 25, 2017

MEMORIES

Life goes by so fast.  Hard to believe I am 80 years old.  Yesterday as I cleaned and vacuumed, and took down the autumn colored decorations, I pulled out a few Christmas things. Before Pat died, we had a big tree, it took both of us to put it up.  I have given it away, and now have a tiny 3 footer, something I can manage on my own. For a good many years I have traveled to Nebraska and spent the holidays with my youngest grand daughters, son and daughter in law, their family and of course my family. Travel is iffy this time of year, and depending on a ride that far is another story, the kids have been good to get me back and forth. But last year I stayed home. The kids came around New Years so I did get to see them, but watching those baby girls come down the stairs Christmas morning, and seeing  their gifts has been a wonderful part of the holiday.  And makes me think of Christmas past.  Our family was never well off, we struggled to get by but never felf a lack of food,  or love or anything important.  Some very lean years I remember getting dolls that mom either made or bought second hand and refurbished, complete with hand made wardrobes, and dad, who worked as a printer, salvaged the wooden  rollers from the paper at the plant, brought them home, cut them into slices that he painted pretty colors and made bags of building blocks for us. Our stockings had an apple and an orange and a package of Good and Pl;enty candies. We felt so rich and blessed. My first 20 years of marriage was to my high school sweetheart, an Air force vet . Service men do not make a great wage. considering what they do for this  country. But the kids always had toys, and a loving home.  Second marriage of 35 years, hubby was a self employed baker. No benefits, insurance etc, but we also did okay,  and our son had nice Christmas's.  Having money has never been important, being blessed with love and family is.  But when you go back, its those first years in your life you remember the most,  those very lean years are the ones that stick in your mind and bring back warm thoughts of family. Miss my folks, they have been gone a long time now, but never  forgotten.  Not sure what this year will bring, but it will be great, because I have four wonderful kids, six grand kids end 2 great  grand kids that bring much happiness and joy to my life. I am grateful for all I have had,  more than most people ever have. I hope you have fond memories, and are creating new ones too, Have a wonderful holiday with your family. My one wish is that the rifts in the family would be healed, always seems such a waste to loose time with those we love.  Blessings to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment