Friday, April 4, 2014

Staying Well, Sriracha Sauce recipe, dangerous cosmetics

  By now you know that I am passionate about staying well,  and if it means not eating or doing certain things, well, I only get one body and one chance, If it slips away, it's too late.   I volunteer for an agency here in town that cares for older, alone people. Several have asked me lately how big the bumps on my hands are. Truth is, I have none. I was so lucky to find a knowledgeable person when I was less than 20 years old, who told me how to avoid arthritis, achy joints and lot of other ills. I wish I had known more, like how to keep from having cataracts but that came into my vision(ha) too late. Although I am trying now to not get cataracts, I do have Fuchs.  But it's so easy, and cheap to protect yourself even if it does mean ditching all those processed foods. Our GMO crops are raising the occurrence of ADHD, Alzheimer's, gluten intolerance and all kinds of other health problems. Organic produce is not that pricy, and cooking from scratch is easy once you get the hang, and not that time consuming. You really are what you eat!
 I love watching The Chew, they  are so funny. And lately they talked about the stopping of making Sriracha because of dubious ingredient's, I had heard that there was fish sauce involved that was not safe. SO here is a recipe for you:
 1 pound fresno peppers
 2 habanero peppers
 2 tablespoons minced garlic
 1/4 cup white vinegar
 1 Tablespoon coconut or organic sugar
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 Cut up the peppers, mince the garlic and put in food processor. Pulse til broken down. Add the rest, in sauté pan cook 5 minutes, then store in glass container in frig.  I have never seen fresno peppers, there must be a good sub for them, let me know if you have ideas.
 I am seeing more and more folk convert to cleaning with natural stuff, like soda and vinegar, no chemicals, fumes etc. To clean your toilet bowl, just  put in 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup borax, and pour in 1 cup white vinegar. Let foam and sit for 30 minutes, swab and flush.
 There is not much you can not clean with soda and vinegar, so cheap and easy.
  ABC's GMA was warning about the lead content in cosmetics this week, over 400 lipsticks are super high in lead, the worst being L'Oreal. Perfume runs high in lead too, and if you use knock off brands they are really bad. There are some good ones, like Bare Minerals that are natural minerals. You can buy the minerals and make your own, but it's not that cost effective, just buy the good ones.
  Dr. Oz (4-2-14) had an interesting bit on a new study to lower cholesterol, we have been told an apple a day is effective, but this one says strawberries work too. In one month, you can lower the bad (LDL) by 14% by eating about 2 cups of strawberries a day. They are high in fiber, vitamin C and polyphenols.  And coming into the stores now. I love them in my Greek Yogurt, get Fage, which is one ingredient, organic milk. No added sugar.
  The weather changed, we went from cold to 80's just overnight, have been sleeping with windows open and fans on already. Sweating weather. Won't complain, ready for other than cold and snow. The trees are so pretty, blooming and fresh. Leaves on trees now, grass is greener. In fact we have thunderstorms moving in this morning, maybe hail and wind with them. We are between two mountains so usually we hear the wind blowing over the tops of the mountains but don't feel it much. Mountains are such wonderful things, love living here.
  Planted lettuce, arugula etc this week. See sweet potatoes coming up in my bed, must have missed a few last fall and they are growing. That solves the problem of replanting.
 Next time you shop, stock up on big boxes of baking soda, just over a buck, a big jug of vinegar, maybe some borax, and start green cleaning.  If you have a few essential oils, some peroxide and tea tree oil, you can do anything!!!!  Happy Spring.
p
 

No comments:

Post a Comment