Friday, May 24, 2013

DId you knows, amazing, and some more recipes for your home

I thought I was a pretty good housekeeper, and was keeping things as clean as they needed to be, but sure found out a few new things this week. We all most likely have rubber spatulas we use for mixing and cooking, but did you know that washing is not enough? The rubber ends pull off, I needed the help of pliers, but oh the ickies on the stick top. Soak in hot soapy water, then rinse and let dry well before putting back together.  Okay, now I feel like those are all clean. Next was the can opener, yep, I did wash it off, but it needs a good hot water and soap scrub too, a toothbrush is good to clean the blade. Now this one, I am still puzzled over. I knew to wash the ice container in the frig, but now I learn you should release the ice making area, take it out and scrub to keep it bacteria free. Because it's always wet, it grows stuff. So far, I can not get mine out and am not willing to destroy the ice maker so may need to contact the manufacturer for information. And your coffee pot, of course we all clean the pot, but be sure that about every 40 uses you put a couple of cups of white vinegar in the container, let it set a couple of hours, then run it through, followed by several runs of clear water to take out the vinegar.  Sponges, yep, germy, so rinse them well and microwave 1 minute at least once a day.  When I clean the kitchen, I always put 1/2 cup of baking soda in the drain followed by 1/2 cup of white vinegar, and let it sit an hour, then flush with hot water. Helps keep drains clean and smelling nice.  Last, if you use a blender, or as I do, a Bullet, be sure you pull out the rubber gasket, clean well and dry, that's the area that retains stuff that can cause e-coli, salmonella, or listeria.
   We have been "blessed" with a super amount of rain this week, did some damage to the property, washed out my new flower beds that were looking so nice, and made ruts in our steep mountain driveways.  Not complaining, the people in OK have had so much worse stuff to cope with that I just thank the good Lord for no more than heavy rain, much easier to repair than some things. It did however mess with our well and my water has turned the color of our red clay dirt. This is handy as my kids are on the way from NE and I waited til this week end to wash rugs, clothes etc and now can't as they would all be red. Such is life.
  Ran across a couple of recipes you might like to try, first up is a shower cleaner:
 Fill a spray bottle half full of white vinegar, add a squirt or two of dish soap, and fill the rest of bottle with water, will keep ya clean and sparkling, no mold.
  Next is a furniture cleaner and polisher:
1/3 cup water
1/2 Tablespoon castile soap
8 drops orange essential oil
4 drops cedarwood oil
4 drops lemon essential oil
This makes the cleaner, if you want it to polish too, add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.  Spray this mix on your dust cloth and have at.
  I am looking forward to having my two smallest grand daughters to play with by Sunday, hope your week is full of happy promises and early summer treats. Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment