Friday, September 12, 2014

Ginger for joints, uses for salt, rambling on

This has been a sad week. The minister we had for almost 9 years has been having problems, he had a transplanted heart in 1988 and was in need of a valve replacement. So he went to Cleveland clinic to have some tests. Another case that makes me wonder about medical care, after the tests he died of a heart attack. I have a huge fear of doctors, they seem to be associated with bad endings. I will miss our pastor, he was a true Godly man, spent many hours with Pat and I when Pat was sick. I can only hope he is ministering to those in heaven now. If you are having minor joint twitches, aches etc, try some ginger capsules. I started taking them when I was in my 20s to escape my folks arthritis problems, it has worked well, I have no aches or pains in my joints. Take 250 to 500 mg 3x a day, do not exceed 4 grams per day. Adding fresh grated ginger to your foods can help too. Salt is kind of like baking soda and vinegar, it has many uses. Scouring powder can be made from equal parts of salt and baking soda, put in a sprinkle can and use as you would any scouring powder. If you have walnuts or pecans to shell, soak them in salt water overnight then shell, makes it much easier. If you have stains, sprinkle salt on the spot, let it soak up the stain, then rinse. You can sprinkle on carpet stains, let dry then vacuum. Of course we have been gargling with warm salt water forever, to ease sore throats. It also helps heal canker sores, mouth ulcers and can be used after post surgical tooth removal. Don't use it long term, just as needed. Add half a cup of salt to your laundry to set colors and keep them bright. Once again, a cheap substance is found to have multi uses. It's still humid and quite warm, thought we had some cooler weather coming in by today, but so far, that has not happened. Gardens seem to be on their last legs, everything is beginning to die out. Need to take down my bean vines tonight. Still have okra and some tomatoes, but they are fading too. I hope the huge praying mantis that lived in my bean patch has found a winter home, and lays eggs for next year, it sure kept the bugs out of my little garden patch. I have volunteered for several years now for our Agency on aging. One of the ladies I talk to was born with cerebral palsy. She is a little hard to understand but I am getting better at knowing most of what she says. She has belonged to a local church for many years but lately they have not been in touch with her. She wants badly to get calls from her congregation, and have someone take her to church on Sunday. I tried to help her, but so far the pastor of her church has not been in touch. If it had been our church, we would have by now. Seems when someone needs you most is not the time you ignore them. Life will be changing soon, have found a part time job and will be joining the work force again. Sort of looking forward to it, sort of not. Will make a lot of changes, one gets used to the routine that sets in. It should be a good thing, will keep you posted. The maples have some red leaves now, and if it cools off, it will feel more like fall. The local pumpkin patch has lots of big pumpkins and squashes for sale in front of their shop. Will soon be Halloween, then the other holidays follow rapidly. Enjoy some fall weather, pumpkin pie, apple cider and football games. Til next time, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment