Friday, November 16, 2012

GMO bill defeated? NO! Fall cooking Thanksgiving


  Just found out it looks like the bill to make labeling GMO's a law has been defeated, and the companies that helped buy that vote are some I rely on, Silk, Kashi, Cascadian Farms, Muir Glen, Morning Star, even Orville Redenbacher if you eat popcorn. So now we have to boycott their products until they undo their votes. Here is a website you can use to get more information, http://www.organicconsumers.org/article26621.cfm.  I think we all have the right to know what poisons are being put into our foods, and have the right to choose options for better health.
   If you have never thought of it, the best things to eat to stay healthy are one ingredient products.
  It's been a rewarding week, have been working with a local agency to contact folks needing Meals on Wheels Thanksgiving dinners delivered, made about 100 calls to set these up. talked to a lot of nice folks this week. Last year I went to help fix those meals, we did over 200.  Nice to feel like ya have made a contribution to your communty.
  Found another good use for empty toilet tissue rolls this  week, been wrapping Christmas gifts to mail to my grand kids, and found that if you split the  empty toilet paper roll, and slip it over the roll of paper, it really holds it together. . I have long rolled linen napkins and table cloths around those long wrapping paper rolls to keep creases from forming.
  My son came in two days ago with a huge basket of peppers, and left me a few. I will stuff some, but last night I made one of my fave dishes. In my nonstick skillet I chopped  a couple of peppers, an onion and a few fresh mushrooms. Sauteed til they were a little softened, but not mushy. then I stirred in white beans I had cooked, a sprinkle of brown sugar and a few splashes of worchesteshire sauce. Simmered it a bit til it was well combined, and supper was ready.  Had some Boston brown bread with it.
   Tonight, I am choppng an onion, some mushrooms and will cook them til almost carmelized, then add  my fresh baby spinach and a few chopped cloves of garlic. Yum, can hardly wait.  Nothing like fresh produce,  it tastes so good. Afraid we have finally had enough frost to kill out the remaining tomatoes, still have one ripening in my window, but everything looks nipped now. My sons garden has acquirred  it's winter covers, he has plastic green houses that extend the growing season most of the winter. My little garden area is not worth trying that on, I just grow a small amount, but still, I made a lot of pickles this year and had fresh zucchini to eat all summer, along with herbs and greens and tomatoes .
  Starting to think about a trip to see my new grand daughter at Christmas, it's  a long trip, and the weather is always iffy in the winter, will see what happens by then, would love to see my Nebraska kids and my sisters again. And of course, my daughter is on the way, in Illinois.
  Wishing you a Thanksgiving filled with blessings and family, we do have many things to be grateful for.  I am off to start a jar of face cream, have been making this wonderful stuff for a few years now, has jojoba, and apricot kernal oils, beeswax, rosewater, a tad of borax and essential carrot seed oil. No artificial colors, scents etc, works so well. You would pay around $40.00 bucks a jar for such in a store.  Nice to have a cupbard full of organic ingredients waiting to be made into great products! Happy Thanksgiving!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment